Orthodontics & The Tricks of the Trade
By Corley Family Dental
June 10, 2014
Category: Oral Health
Just got your braces put on? It’s time you learn the tricks of the trade. Well, it’s not actually tricks, just helpful tips to keep your braces clean and oral health in check.
Why is Oral Hygiene Important During Orthodontic Treatment?
Food can get stuck between the teeth without wearing braces. With braces, food particles are much easier to catch between the wires and brackets. Leaving food resting in the mouth can incite bacteria growth and acid production—this can result in enamel erosion and cavities.
The Right Cleaning Tools for Your Teeth and Orthodontics in Decatur
These are the tools of the trade that you need to know about.
- Floss threader – this useful tool helps you thread floss through the tricky spaces caused by wires and brackets.
- Waxed floss – the waxed floss is less likely to shred as it passes between the teeth and around the metal orthodontic appliance.
- Dental picks – this nifty tool dislodges food particles and removes plaque, tartar buildup and stains.
- Proxabrush – it’s the alternative to floss, and it maneuvers between braces to remove plaque and debris the toothbrush misses.
- Time – give yourself more time to clean your teeth and orthodontic appliance. It should take a little longer than the standard two minutes, twice a day.
The best way to know if these cleaning tools are doing the trick is to attend your bi-annual checkups at our family and general dentistry office in Decatur.