The Benefits Of Orthodontic Treatment
Improving the appearance of your smile is just one of the many benefits of orthodontic treatment. In fact, orthodontics can help decrease pain, improve your nutrition or reduce wear and tear. Our Decatur, IL, dentists, Drs. Natalie and Chad Corley, help their patients perfect their smiles with individualized treatment plans.
What are the advantages of orthodontic treatment in Decatur?
Orthodontic treatment offers a few benefits that can change your smile and improve your oral and general health, including:
- Correction of Jaw Misalignments: If your upper and lower jaw aren't in alignment, you'll experience a bite problem. Bite problems can affect your appearance and increase stress on your jaw joints and muscles. Bite problems that can be corrected with orthodontic treatment include underbites, overbites, open bites, and crossbites.
- Less Chance of Injury: Teeth that protrude are more likely to be damaged if you fall and strike your mouth or receive a blow to the mouth. Improving the position of your teeth with braces will reduce the risk of tooth trauma.
- Better Nutrition: You've probably had to make a few adjustments in the way you eat if your teeth don't fit together properly or you have missing teeth or large spaces, If you avoid certain foods because they're difficult to chew, eat mostly soft foods, or swallow foods whole, you may not be getting the nutrients you need. After your orthodontic treatment, you'll be able to eat a much more varied diet.
- Improved Speaking Ability: Speaking clearly can be difficult if your teeth aren't in the correct position. Fortunately, speech difficulties caused by bite problems or other dental issues can often be improved with orthodontics.
- Less Wear and Tear: Your teeth and gums suffer when there is a misalignment between your upper and lower jaws. If your upper teeth make contact in front of or behind the lower teeth, you may experience enamel and gum erosion, lacerations, and cracks in teeth.
- Reduction of Pain: Bite problems can eventually cause temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), a condition that affects the hinge joints in your jaw. TMJ symptoms include jaw pain and stiffness, earaches, and headaches. Correcting your bite may be helpful in relieving stress and pain caused by misaligned teeth.
Are you ready to change your smile with orthodontics? Call our Decatur, IL, dentists, Drs. Natalie and Chad Corley, at (217) 330-6217 to schedule your appointment.